Thursday, March 29, 2012

Why should I go around being afraid of everything in life?

Today in class, we talked about rape and it's stats. That's some terrifying stuff.. Not even kidding. That being said, I don't feel like it's fair that I have to go throughout my life being paranoid of getting raped or, god forbid, murdered.

Why is our culture so accepting of this and want to point the finger at the victim? Why?

It's not fair to anyone. As a woman, I should be able to wear what I want and do as I please, but I can't. I can't wear anything "too revealing" in fear someone will decide to take advantage. I don't go to parties because I don't want to get drunk around people I don't know. I can't walk alone too late at night in case there is someone lurking in the shadows to cause me harm. (Although, you are JUST as likely to get raped at anytime during the day as well as late night/early morning.) I carry mace with me everywhere I go as a just in case precaution. I have to be aware of my surroundings at ALL times since there is no telling who will do what to me.

This is slightly ridiculous and not fair. I shouldn't fear anyone or anything. I shouldn't be so paranoid, but I am. Sure, there are some sick people in the world, and chances of me meeting them are kind of slim, but god forbid I do and I'm not prepared for it. God forbid, I get drunk at a party and can't consent to sex. I WILL get blamed. Yes there are people out there who don't victim blame and I want to thank them ALL personally. It's a beautiful thing when people stop blaming the victim when 9 times out of 10 it is NOT their fault. Not in the slightest.

I don't know. There's something wrong with us as a society if we victim blame. It's disgusting, and we should really start to evaluate things.

No comments:

Post a Comment